About my Blog

Like Food? Then you are in the right place. I love food. I love to see it, smell it, and taste it. I like to try to make it too. This my kitchen and my cooking. It's not always perfect, but it's made with love. Take a peek and try some out. Welcome to The Tiny Kitchen That Could

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Lasagna

You know what I love the most about lasagna?
That it tastes even better as leftovers than when its fresh.
There is just something about putting it in the fridge, letting get cold, the microwaving it that is just....Mmmmm.

So I usually make it when I know I am not going to feel like cooking the next day.
Or when I am not going to go to the store for stuff to make.

I don't know about you, but we save all our leftovers, but somehow never get around to eating them.
It's a problem, I know.
We work on it.

Lasagna is our exception, we eat it all, and the leftovers don't last more than a day or two.


I used to make it like this:

1. Go to store.
2. Get frozen Stouffers Lasagna.
3. Go home.
4. Put frozen lasagna in oven.
5. Wait FOREVER, then serve.


But now I make it myself, and not only does it taste better,
it does NOT take 160 minutes to cook.

I am impatient when it comes to food, and usually I start dinner later in the evening, when I am ready to eat, so making a meal that takes more than an hour doesn't fit into my schedule.


This is how I do it now.



1. Brown your meat (I use two pounds, but the picture only shows 1), add what ever kinds of seasoning you like.

2. While that is working, get your cheese mix ready.
I use a mix of Ricotta and Cottage cheese with a hand full of Parmesan and an egg.
No exact measurements will be offered.



3. The meat should be done now, so time to add your tomato sauce, I use meat sauce because my husband loves it extra meaty. Then get your Ready to Bake lasagna pasta and start layering!

This is how I layer:
1st layer:
Pasta
Cheese mix
Meat mix
Spinach leaves (to taste, optional, I just need a little green)
Fresh mozzarella
Balsamic vinegar
2nd layer:
Pasta
Cheese mix
Meat mix
Cheese mix (very little)
Fresh mozzarella
Balsamic Vinegar
Parmesan

Seems like a lot, but its not.

See?
Here is the 1st layer


Making layer number two:





4. Throw it in the oven at 400 degrees for about half an hour (if you want you can cook it longer at 350 or whatever you like, but why???).

Just eyeball it really, I took it out when the mozzarella was getting crispy on the top.


That really brown part you see? That's just balsamic that soaked into the cheese, don't worry.

You should technically let it sit for, like 15 min to, I guess, firm up, but, like I said, I can't wait that long so I serve it after 5.

The whole process takes about an hour! Totally worth it!

There will be liquid in the dish, don't worry, you didn't do something wrong, it still tastes awesome, and the next day, when you eat the leftovers, your going to be amazed that it tastes even better!


1 comments:

Amanda Hepner said...

My favorite food! Leigh, you should make this for me for my birthday ;)

Post a Comment